Friday, January 11, 2013

Death by Laundry Room??

Yesterday...like any other day...I was in the laundry room tackling the pile of clothes to wash.  I mean, laundry is my life.  There are 5 people in this house, so there is always SOMETHING that needs washed.

I'm minding my own business THEN.....my extra shelf with hanging space comes crashing down narrowly missing my head.  I was attacked by my own clothes!!!!!

Pulled the wall anchors out of the wall.

Completely. Out. Of. The. Wall.....screws, plastic anchor thingys, and the drywall it brought with it.

 The holes left in the wall...I know it doesn't look dramatic, but it was.

The offending shelf.  It is upside down, but imagine it with an empty bucket on top and it had clothes hanging from the hangy bar thing-a-ma-jig.


What I thought...and subsequently what I said was.....REALLY????!!!!!

You can tell that having kids has affected my ability to sufficiently cuss up a storm when something like this happens.

Now, let me be clear.  I hate my laundry room.  I know, you would think it would be my favorite place....but it's the size of a damn postage stamp!!!!  Smaller even.
 My laundry room. On the left you see the door jam and on the right...the door, which is up against the wall.

So, as you can see, it's REALLY small.  When we bought our house, I was so excited to have first floor laundry.  I didn't have to go up and down the stairs.  How awesomely convenient!

So.  Not.  Awesome.  Or convenient.  

I think it was really an afterthought when the house was built.  There is no proper drain if the washer leaks, unless of course leaking into the basement to ruin whatever is down there is proper drainage.

Oh...we figured that out the hard way.  The washer did leak one time.  It made a waterfall in the basement.  Through a light fixture.  Good times.

I loathe my laundry room.  If we could move it down to the basement, we would.  We would have to have it wired, and yada yada, blah, blah.  One day it will happen, but probably not soon.

There is no room to do anything.  There is only enough hanging space for roughly 2 loads of clothes.  I don't have enough shelves.  Or storage.  Or standing room.

Oh, and we don't have a utility sink either.  I miss having one of those.  We have to use the kitchen sink for all of that.  Filling buckets.  Rinsing gross stuff out of clothes.  So NOT how I would have done it, had I been a part of building the house.

Then again, when we bought it, I thought it was awesome until I actually started using it.  

Live and learn.  Back to laundry.  Hopefully it doesn't kill me.


1 comment:

Leave a comment, I would love to hear what you have to say!